Central Indiana Section Meeting Report
ReverBall! – A Tour of the Music Technology Facilities and Open House at the Eskenazi Fine Arts Center at IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis)
This meeting featured a tour of the classroom, recording, and lab facilities of the Music Technology Program on the IUPUI campus. It also included an open house-type event (ReverBall), hosted by the Herron School of Art + Design and the Department of Music Technology.
Dr. Hsu took the group through various spaces used by the Music Technology Program, including:
- A control room and adjacent tracking studio.
- A music rehearsal room.
- An acoustics laboratory where experimental work was being done with impedance tubes and various acoustic panels of different sustainable materials.
- The Tavel Center for Arts Technology where interactive/distance learning with local and remote
- students takes place alongside current research in music technology.
- A newly renovated piano lab used for keyboard and MIDI controller classes.
The Music Technology program IUPUI resides in the Purdue School of Engineering and Technology. They offer a Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Ph.D in Music Technology, as well as a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree in Music Therapy. Research in the department spans fields in audio, live performance technologies, acoustics, health, music therapy, and digital and acoustic instrument development.
The Open House event included several ensembles performing music, in some cases with homemade instruments or modified regular instruments and synthesizers. Mixed media performances included world premieres of works by both faculty and students.
The meeting was hosted by Dr. Timothy Hsu, faculty member in the Music Technology Program at IUPUI.